Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee
August 4, 2008 Meeting notes
NOTE: These are Draft notes, they have not been corrected or officially adopted by the BAC.
1. Richard Moeur, Chairman Bike Tech Committee NCUTCD and Dwight Kingsbury, chair of the NCHRP panel supervising the latest update of the AASHTO Bike Guide talked about the upcoming changes to signage recommendations, see Richard’s web site.
- AASHTO is recommending for streets with car parking that the outside bike lane stripe be 12 feet from the curb face, measured to the center of the outside stripe. Communities can carve that up anyway they want to.
- Design speeds: there may be some flexibility proposed to use lower design speeds except for downhill curves. The 85th percentile bike speed on flat trails has been measured as 14 mph. No static signal has any effect on sidepath crossings, so active lights are needed.
- Florescent signage seems very visible but does not change driver behavior.
- The center of a sharrow should probably be 4 feet from a curb, or 11 feet when parking is present.
- AASHTO is adding a section on traffic calming measures and bicycles, along with more on detection for signal changes.
2. Richard also made a short presentation on the AASHTO Task Force on US Numbered Bicycle Routes, reviving cross-US bicycle routes, with numbers and signs. See the Adventure Cycling site for details.
3. County Board Bike Ride A Saturday in October will be found when Board members will be available. The route will feature the Columbia Pike Bicycle Boulevards and some of the Arlington Boulevard Trail improvements that have not happened yet.
4. CIP provisions for bicycles The recently approved Capital Improvement Plan has almost nothing for bicycles in the next two fiscal years except State and Federal funding of about $400,000 each year. Funding for “safety improvements” (paving) is limited to $50,000 in FY 2010, with zero for this year. There were negative comments from some BAC members.
5. Detector loops - “the County should make sure that any on-demand signal recognizes a bicycle.” We will discuss it further in November.
Bicycle-related facilities project list
Bicycle Safety Placeholder
Bicycle Shelters Initial project request
N Vernon - N.Vermont & N. Upton St Donaldson Run On hold
Bike Lane Implementation Active
I-395 Shirlington Underpass FMR Trail Spring ‘09 Active
Hoffman Boston connector/S.Queen St.& S.Army Navy Dr. Canceled
George Washington overpass to Mt. Vernon trail Active
Arlington Boulevard Trail Renovation Active
Wash. Blvd. trail from Arl. Blvd. to ... - Phase I Active
Route 110 trail Mem.Dr. to Pentagon Gen'l Improvements Active
General trail improvements Active
Wash Blvd trail to S. Rolfe St. - Phase II Funded
Old Dom. Dr. on-street - 23rd St. to 26th St. N. Phase I Active
S. Glebe Road at W. Glebe Rd Pedestrian Improvements Funded
Old Dom. Dr. on-street - 26TH ST. TO 25TH ST. N Active
Consultant Activities on above projects through June 30
Washington Boulevard Trail
Phase I is out to bid. Reviewed design options for Phase ll including potential connection to Columbia Pike in conjunction with Washington Boulevard interchange construction.
Route 110 Trail
Continued to work on a revision to the VDOT Agreement for the project. Coordinated with Arlington Engineering staff to get an updated cost estimate for the project. Answered design related questions from Arlington Engineering staff. Need National Park Service permits to conduct surveys.
Arlington Boulevard Trail
Identified small scale projects and began work on preliminary design and cost estimates. Can update BAC in October.
Arlington Boulevard Transportation Enhancement project
Continued work on required VDOT environmental documentation Began initial outreach to Fort Meyer.
Columbia Pike Parallel Bikeways
Began work on cost estimate and submitted sign draft of sign plan for showing destinations and distances for key intersections for the bicycle boulevard. Design for 12th Street side almost complete. Can update BAC in October.
Rosslyn Circle Trail/Sidewalk Improvements
Coordinated with VDOT Staff regarding funding for Rosslyn Circle improvements and the VDOT agreement for design and construction of the improvements Continued to assist Arlington Staff with preparing an RFP for the Rosslyn Esplanade/Rosslyn Circle design. VDOT has $1 million funding, agreement soon. Tunnel is on hold. Eliminate lane on Lee Hwy? Dedicated signal phase for ped/bike crossing of Lynn St?
Bike Lane and Other Bikeway projects
Assisted with design of bike lane and shared use markings for the Williamsburg Circle.
(compilation 8/5/08 -- Accuracy suspect!)
Agenda for October: First Draft
Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee
October 6, 2008 7:30 PM
Azalea Room 103 - Courthouse Plaza
1. Introductions and approval of minutes (7:30 We try to start on time.)
2. Trail maintenenace issues Kevin Stalica
Includes slippery striping paint (7:40)
3. County Board Bike Ride (7:55)
4. BAC and staff priorities for new funding in FY 2010. (8:05)
5. Pentagon Area Bicycle and Pedestrian Access Study (8:25)
Identify relevant projects from the Arlington Bicycle Element
as staff input to the 14th Street Bridge EIS and other relevant
6. Bicycle education in Arlington where are we going? (8:45)
7. Update on County and Other projects Dave Goodman (9:15)
Drawings for north end of Shirlington underpass
Consultant activities (Charlie Denney may be among us)
Status of funded projects
8. Regional issues and meetings Allen Muchnick (9:25)
9. Items for the November agenda
Adjourn by 9:30