Of course, he had to drive there to do it.
He mentions the speed limit, and the problem with trying to enforce it (which it seems they are not - if someone gets a speeding ticket, do let me know).
Two Maryland National Capital Park Police officers were on duty along the route. They moved from spot to spot on motorized scooters. Cyclists have been chafing over the 10 mph speed limit on the trail, but the officers weren't there to ticket anyone. They were just out to offer information and make sure trail users were safe.
And he has some concerns
He has a photo of a hand written direction sign, so I'll agree with him on that. The Wilson Bridge Map is frankly a bit useless unless you already know the routes described.
On his chat yesterday someone asked about connecting the bridge to Bolling Air Force Base.
the biggest problem is that on the Maryland side, there really are no connecting trails. (On the VA side, you have the Mount Vernon Trail.) I hope trail users keep the pressure up for a fix.
The Maryland side needs five new connections.
1. Along the west side of I-295 from the north side of the bridge on the Maryland side to the southern terminus of the South Capitol Street Bridge.
2. An improved connection to DC Village Lane SW (the top left of the orange line shown on the map).
3. A connection from the Oxon Hill Road bridge over the Beltway to Seneca Drive (via either Bald Eagle Drive or a connection to Cree Drive). A continuation of the green line on the map in Maryland.
4. A trail built along Oxon Run from the first connection listed above all the way into DC and connected then to the (soon-to-be improved?) Oxon Run Trail.
5. On the south side of National Harbor to Clay Drive.
DC is working on part of #1 - the South Capitol Street Trail, but even if they push it as far as I'd like (and as far as they can) it still leaves a gap from the bridge to the south shore of Oxon Cove. Unfortunately there isn't a single agency to work with, but Oxon Hill Bicycle and Trail Club is the best place to start if you want to fix this.