Though we're well past the time when people are saying Happy New Year's to one another, here is a look at the facilities and projects we are scheduled to (or may) happen in 2011.
- Work begins on the section of the the Washington Boulevard Trail towards Ft. Myer and also the completion of the Shady Grove Access Bike Path.
- The 11th Street Bridges project will continue with the two new freeway spans under construction between the old bridge spans completed in the fall. We'll see if work on the local bridge results in any closures of the bike/ped path.
- The first segment of the ICC is going to open - I don't know if the trail will too.
- The Eisenhower Avenue Bike Trail opens- about one year late - the last bicycle element of the Wilson Bridge Project.
- It will be a big year for the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail. Work is underway on two bridges over the railroad tracks (one on each side of the river), a section on the east side between Pennsylvania Ave and 11th Street and a section of the trail in PG County from Bladensburg waterfront park. These could all be finished in 2011.
March - As part of the BRAC process in Bethesda, work begins on a new bike path on the south side of West Cedar Lane between Old Georgetown Road and Rockville Pike. It should be complete by June.
Spring - Completion of the Humpback Bridge with a wider MVT and trail tunnels underneath. Work begins on the Art Walk development and with it a one block section of the Met branch trail between Monroe Ave and the CUA Metro.
May - Capital Bikeshare expansion in Arlington and DC. Also work begins on the bike path on the north side of Jones Bridge Road from Rockville Pike to Connecticut Avenue - another BRAC project - to completed by December.
Summer or Fall - Work begins on the Washington Boulevard Bridge - to be renamed the Freedman's Village Bridge - over Columbia Pike. One part of the project is to widen Columbia Pike under the bridge, which will make more space for pedestrians and cyclists.
Summer - Muncaster Mill Road Sidepath, part of the ICC project.
July - The MacArthur Boulevard bikeway's middle section, a13,800-foot segment from Oberlin Avenue to the Interstate 495 underpass, begins. Work also begins on the upgrade to the east-side Rockville Pike path - also part of BRAC - to be finished by September.
Fall - Last I heard, this was the target date of the Rhode Island Avenue Bridge on the Met Branch Trail, but the Design was supposed to be done by now and I haven't heard that it is, so I suspect this is not the target date anymore.
October - The Rock Creek Park Trail Bridge over Vier Mills Road
November - Completion of the Silver Spring Transit Center. This includes the northern trailhead and a temporary section of the trail. The section will be finalized when the Purple line is built through the center.
By the way JTS, you owe me $1.