With the W&OD Trail running through the area, bicycling is an important part of the community and is used for both transportation and recreation. The discontinuities in the W&OD Trail through East Falls Church and the difficult trail crossing of Lee Highway present a challenge to provide a safer facility for trail users.
Similar to the County’s recently adopted MTP, which advocates for increasing bicycle use, improving bicycle safety, managing and maintaining the bikeway system and integrating all modes of transportation with biking, the community’s vision calls for a more bike-friendly transportation system. Improved bicycle facilities will serve both Metrorail users and travelers within the neighborhood. Additional on-street bicycle lanes and routes, as well as off-street connections and other bicycle enhancements are recommended.
Bicycle support facilities, such as showers, changing rooms, and lockers also promote bicycle use and should be accommodated in any new development or streetscape improvements in East Falls Church should also include bicycle facilities.
Also, Arlington County, working with the District of Columbia, has initiated a bike sharing program, Capital Bikeshare, with 1,100 bikes and 114 bike sharing stations in the region currently, including initial installations in Crystal City and Pentagon City. If successful, this program will be expanded elsewhere in the County.
- Amend the Bicycle Element of the Master Transportation Plan to include the changes in the bicycle network shown on the Bycycle Network Map.
- Provide bicycle lanes or sharrows (designated lanes to be shared by bicycles and cars) along both sides of Sycamore Street, Lee Highway, Fairfax Drive, Westmoreland (west of 25th Street North) and Washington Boulevard throughout and adjacent to the study area.
- Designate on-street bicycle routes for designated segments of Westmoreland Street, Winchester Street, Little Falls Road, 16th Street North, 19th Street and 19th Road North.
- Consider implementing bike sharing facilities at the East Falls Church Metrorail station and elsewhere in East Falls Church as Arlington’s bike sharing program is expanded throughout the County.
- Require bicycle facilities including secure bike storage, showers and changing facilities, and bicycle parking for retail stores as a site plan condition for new development. Include sidewalk bicycle racks in new streetscape projects.
- Undertake a study of options, in cooperation with the City of Falls Church and the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority, to connect the W&OD Trail from west of Lee Highway to east of Sycamore Street, including possible grade separations.