- Wait, you can turn a bike blog into a book deal?
- ECGA seeks to hire a Mid-Atlantic Regional Trail Coordinator. Job description PDF here. Closing date: 5 pm, June 20, 2011.
- Another section of the Great Allegheny Passage from DC to Pittsburgh will open this Friday. "a new three-mile section of the trail along the Allegheny River [sic] will open to the public, connecting the trail's current northern terminus at McKeesport up to Homestead, Pa. This extension means that just a single mile of additional trail into Pittsburgh is needed to complete a grand 150-mile route through rural Pennsylvania." Update: It's actually the Monongahela River.
- Photos from the Clarendon Cup.
- The contractor who is building the 2201 Pershing Drive project (northwest corner of Pershing Dr & Arlington Blvd) will need to shut down the Arlington Blvd trail between Pershing Drive and 10th Street. The closure will begin tomorrow (June 14) and take effect for about four weeks while they reconstruct the right curb lane along Arlington Blvd. A pedestrian and bicyclist detour involving 10th Street, Barton Street and Pershing Drive has been signed. Access along Pershing drive to the Henry gate of Fort Myer will not be affected.
- Cyclist in NYC threatened with a ticket for riding while wearing a short skirt. Biking while sexy is not illegal.
- "The motorist's real enemy isn't simply the bicyclist, it's anyone and anything that gets in the way. It's pedestrians, it's joggers, it's people out walking dogs. And don't forget about buses, taxis stopping to pick up passengers, and of course, other drivers. It's even the police, and it's one of the few contexts when a lot of otherwise law-abiding citizens resent the presence of law enforcement officers."