- On Monday at 7pm, ANC1C will discuss DDOT's planned bike lanes on Columbia Road. Please consider attending.
- Some people are really worried about CaBi riders without helmets - despite no reports of skull fractures among riders. In fact, the story makes clear that all the available data shows that neither injuries nor fatalities have increased since CaBi hit the streets. It's a pretty reasonable story - making clear that helmets aren't the end all be all for bike safety, but they can be helpful in a crash.
- On a related note, I heard Tom Sherwood on Kojo yesterday talking about the Harriet Tregoning crash (he's a big cyclist) . He said "it reinforces the idea that bike riding is a dangerous thing in the city, and that's why the city is aggressively trying to put in bike lanes....And people should wear helmets." I'd have preferred a different lesson - one about drivers and red lights.
- Finally, another story from WAMU, on Tommy Wells' ride across the Douglass Bridge.
- The Bicycle Film Festival is coming.
- Grant money will help to improve the mountain bike trails in Fountainhead Park. "Phase one will involve Jack Rabbit Run, a long ridge top downhill trail that does not take advantage of any of the surrounding side slope. The enhanced trail will shift the existing tread from the fall line to the sides with slope and include banked turns and whoops for a fast and swoopy trail ride experience."
- One idea to improve the intersection of Reston Parkway and Sunset Hills Road is to extend more roads across the W&OD trail. It doesn't say if those are at grade or not, but too many and the trail risks getting a tunnel-like feel.
- The Onion on LA's new cyclist harassment law.