I would actually go to the Military Bowl, which is only a five minute bike ride away, if tickets were reasonably priced. $10 to sit in the cold and watch two teams I don't really care about [but I would of course root for Air Force - it's rare to see actual student-athletes]? OK. $25? I'll watch at home.
- Tree work on the Custis Trail starting today. Be on the lookout for work crews.
- Bethesda may be getting a new boutique hotel on Wisconsin Avenue at Cheltenham Dr and the hotel will leave space for a bike-share station. "County planners recommended approval of the project plan and preliminary plan reviews, subject to more than a dozen conditions, including granting an easement to the Department of Transportation to install a bike-share station, preferably on Woodmont." Nice to see them planning ahead.
- Also work will begin in late January on the new buildings to go on the site of the large parking lot just east of the CCT trailhead in Bethesda (lot 31). "One to two months after the project begins, Woodmont Avenue between Bethesda Avenue and Leland Street will close for about 20 months. The Capital Crescent Trail will remain open. Construction is expected to be complete in the summer of 2013.
- TBD covers the Women's Bicycle Forum in an excellent article. Let me just quote this one part "Capital Bikeshare has provided encouraging statistics that more accessibility and safety will close the gender gap. Women make up about 40% of users, and according to GoDCGo director Katie Sihler and one of DDOT's bikeshare folks, women make up an impressive 52% of casual Capital Bikeshare users. No gap exists there."
- Preaching to the converted here.