- A very non-scientific poll of Arlington bike commuters shows some impressive numbers. 171 respondents biked a total of 444,310 miles in 2011 or 2598 miles per person. While most of those polled started their trips in Virginia, only a plurality ended in DC. There appear to be quite a few suburb to suburb commuters.
- I agree with this writer about the general awesomeness of the Capital Crescent Trail. But I disagree here: "I just cannot understand why the Planning Board, the Montgomery County Council, and Gov. Martin O’Malley need to trade our trail for light rail when there are other alternatives." The trail is not going away. What is currently the CCT won't even be impacted. But what is now the Georgetown Branch Trail will be changed. In some ways it will be better and in some ways it will be worse. I suspect that it will be far more used than the Georgetown Branch Trail is now, which would be a vote for the new trail over the existing trail.
- Update on Virginia bills that relate to cycling - including a bill making it illegal to tailgate a cyclist or other road users.
- Two locals are biking from Manassas to Green Bay, WI for Sunday's NFC Championship game which is in San Francisco.
- Richmond plans to release the route for the 2015 World Championship race this year or next. In 2013, there will be a test race on the route. “We hope this test event becomes an annual race and is part of the event’s legacy,” HT: Richard Layman.