- DDOT is considering testing new technology. It is a sensor that can detect bicyclists when necessary at traffic signals. Most of the signals in the District are ‘pre-timed,’ meaning the different phases come up automatically. This is generally a good thing for pedestrians and bicyclists and reduces the need for detection. However, DC has some signal that bring up certain phases (i.e., turn green or ‘walk’) only when a car is present or a pedestrian pushes a button. These signal usually do not detect bikes. If you know of an ‘actuated’ signal intersection where you and your bike are not detected, let DDOT know ([email protected]). They may be able to test a new device there.
- Bike lanes going in on Columbia Road, NW. from 16th to Connecticut?
- The presentation on bike sharing in Tysons Corner is actually on Tuesday.
- The renovation of the Springfield Mall "includes improved pedestrian and bicycle connections to the Franconia-Springfield Metro and Virginia Railway Express stations"
- Charles County wants to make Leonardtown Road and Old Washington Road more amenable to pedestrians, bicyclists and mass transit.
- Using the GAP, you can now bike to the Pittsburgh airport.
- The CCCT's take on the Air Rights Tunnel/Trail issue:
The Coalition for the Capital Crescent Trail, the Washington Area Bicyclist Association, the Town of Chevy Chase, and "Save the Trail" gave strong testimony at the T&E Committee hearing on the importance of keeping the Trail in the tunnel for the safety of the many trail users and for the integrity of this important regional trail. CCCT Chair Ron Tripp spoke for the CCCT to challenge the study assumptions used by MTA to find that the single-track options would not support the required Purple Line headway, see CCCT Tunnel Testimony. The MTA also had not included the single-track alternative the CCCT has proposed in its study. For these and other reasons Ron Tripp concluded:
"It's clear that MTA does not want the trail sharing the tunnel. It's equally clear that it is too early to close that door."