So, why doesn't anyone sell NFL team branded bike helmets? I've seen fire helmets done like NFL helmets and construction helmets, but not bike helmets. There's your money making idea for the day.
- Mary Cheh "directs" DDOT to educate cyclists about the dangers of streetcar tracks. And "The Committee further recommends that DDOT continue to explore ways to reduce the risks to cyclists riding along streetcar tracks and examine bicycle safety enhancements on routes parallel to streetcar corridors. The Committee directs DDOT to provide an update on this request by October 1, 2012."
- Speaking of Mary Cheh, Ward 3 is having a Transportation Town Hall meeting on Monday, May 7th.
- Capital Bikeshare added another station to the Mall. This time at the Jefferson Memorial. And another at 14th Street and Good Hope. And here's a photo of them dealing with the Union Station surge.
- Look, it's another sensational story about the CaBi bike helmet study. "...most riders are risking their lives by not wearing a helmet." The story also miscites the efficacy stat on helmets (it's from a 1989 study, not the IIHS) which is somewhat dubious as is the stat that 91% of cycling fatalities don't wear helmets. On the other hand, there is this. On the upside, they included the percentage of non-CaBi riders wearing helmets which is 51.4%.
- Beginning on Saturday PBS will run a series called Pedal America, about biking in the USA. I had a friend who worked at Discover Channel and I kept trying to pitch a bike travel show to her in which I would travel around the world with a super model and we would ride bikes and then drink beer and they would pay me a lot of money to do that. Unfortunately, she was an accountant so it didn't go anywhere.
- The DC bike lane meeting is tonight.