I was watching the Olympic Road Race on the wrong channel I guess. They switched over to qualifying heats for women's swimming and then only came back when the race was over - then they blew it by announcing "Taylor Farrar Phinney came in 4th" before showing like 7 seconds of the finish. Why they couldn't cut away, or show the last two minutes a few minutes after it was over - without ruining the ending - I'll never know. Shouldn't a race with a medal on the line - and an American in contention - take priority over qualifying heats? Anyway, Farrar Phinney said in an interview that 4th was the worst place to be. But I figure that puts him only one, inevitable doping scandal away from bronze. In the women's race, Shelly Olds came in 7th after a flat tire cost her a shot at the podium. BTW, isn't it time the road race became a team sport? That's how they ride it after all.
- The Post covers a supposed rise in crimes that are perpetrated by people on bikes. I don't know. Crime reports come up pretty regularly in my searches and I don't know if I've seen an uptick. It's pretty much a weekly occurrence and has been since 2005. It's actually on my list of "stories I don't bother to report anymore because they're so common."
- The Park Police released a sketch of the suspect in a sexual assault that took place on the Capital Crescent Trail earlier this week.
- Local teens pitch ideas for the proposed 11th Street Bridge Park. "This fall, the city is launching a national design competition for the park.... The best-case scenario would be to have the redesigned bridge open by 2016, but planners acknowledged that with funding questions and other unknowns, that’s probably unrealistic. They hope that the park would be maintained by a private partner, either a company or a nonprofit." Also, a ramp from DC-295 South to the bridge opens today. That probably isn't relevant to cyclists unless it means that resources will now be shifted to the other bridge - or unless it means less cut through traffic on East Capitol, 17th St SE and Barney Circle.
- Author Dave Eggers writes a review of the new book "Just Ride" about how you probably need less gear for your bike ride. That's true, but a lot of it is nice. I like pockets on the back of my shirt. I like wicking. I like padded bike shorts. Do you need them? No. But they can be nice - even on a 10 mile bike ride. But I wouldn't use expensive sunglasses if I hadn't gotten them as a gift and I get that the image it creates may not be good for cycling (though the revenue it brings to bike shops might be).
- Barry Bonds is now biking and has slimmed down quite a bit. I'm not sure if that's the best sport to get into if you're accused of doping. But whatevs.