- A task force, including a member of the Bicycle Advisory Council, will study traffic fines for automatic speed cameras. I agree that the cameras should be about safety and not revenue. I heard Thomas Didone, a Montgomery County police captain, on NPR recently discussing how they choose locations, and it sounded rational and transparent. They have an advisory board that does the selecting. "we have set factors, an open criteria. We look at the amount of speeding on the roadway, the traffic volume, the amount of accidents on there, the pedestrian proximity and others, things that can be hit, the design of the roadway. And we have an open-above-core criteria in which citizen through the website can request consideration. We do an evaluation of that. And if it meets our criteria, it gets included in the program. So that way, it's above board and it's based on safety as the sole factor." I think DC could benefit from something like that. Anything that can be done to increase the legitimacy of the cameras as safety devices helps. Also, since the tickets are regressive. I'd love to see them tie the price of the ticket to the income of the driver - or perhaps charge 0.5% of the blue book value of the car. [Aside: I saw two motorcycles with the license plate bent way up so that one can not read the plate without climbing under the motorcycle. And cyclists are called scofflaws?]
- Over the last month there have been two attacks in Bethesda's Air Rights Tunnel on the Georgetown Branch Trail. In the video, the position that people are feeling uneasy is quickly undone by a mom pushing a stroller by herself in the background. They also erroneously call it a former Metro tunnel. Do police really need to ride motorcyclists through the tunnel?
- There was a meeting last night on redesigning New Jersey Avenue between H and N Street NW. The redesign would make the road two-way and add bike lanes.
- One journalist's take on biking in London.
- The German Automobile Club ranked Europe's major bike sharing systems. They must be going with the Michelan system because only Lyon received the Very Good ranking.