- Bike lanes were added to Shady Grove Road from Interstate 270 to Darnestown Road and to Forest Glen Road from Maryland Route 97 to Brunett Avenue as part of Montgomery County's repaving projects. They also improved the pedestrian crossing of Forest Glen at Sligo Creek.
- Work will soon begin on a Columbia Pike improvement project. This work, separate from the Streetcar work, will add bike racks and wider sidewalks.
- Midtown Manhattan is now requiring some cyclists who receive tickets to take a remedial cycling class. "It comes amid broad agreement among bike advocates and the Transportation Department that compelling riders to obey traffic signals, go with traffic and stay off the sidewalk is critical to improving the image of cycling and ensuring the long-term health of New York City’s expanding bicycle network....The two most common offenses have been riding on the sidewalk and not using the bicycle lane."
- More serious offences are merely ticketed, but these lessor offenses require a day of class-work plus a day of community service. So that's pretty messed up in my opinion.
- I used to teach defensive driving when I was in college, and I think the program is very useful, but I liked the way Texas did it better than this. First of all it was optional. You could either pay the ticket in full; or pay a small fee, take the class and have the ticket vacated. Which means that people in the class had chosen it - even if it was under duress (and there were others there just to get their insurance bill reduced). Second of all, I don't even think it should be illegal to ride outside the bike lane, so I really don't support giving it a more onerous punishment.
- I've suggested DC do this, but as an optional way to void a ticket. Like I used to tell my defensive driving students - Robert DeNiro still takes acting lessons. And drivers ticketed for bike related violations (even speeding) should be allowed the option too.
- I really can not believe that NYC still requires cyclists to use the bike lane when one is present. How do they get to be a Silver Bicycle Friendly Community with that rule?