- WABA calls on DDOT and MCDOT to finish the Metropolitan Branch Trail. "In the District, no one has provided a solid reason why work cannot begin immediately on the northern segment of the trail from Riggs Rd. to the Montgomery County line. It needs to be done. Idleness is unacceptable. It is no more acceptable in Montgomery County, where WABA fought to have funding for the trail restored to the budget after it was removed from County Executive Ike Leggett’s original proposal. The restoration of funding has come with no commensurate sense of urgency to put it to use, however. Despite the existence of funding and the inclusion of the trail in approved master plans, the Montgomery County Department of Transportation (MCDOT) has not even begun the design of the critical crossing of Georgia Avenue, much less initiated any form of construction. Instead, they continue to tiptoe around and negotiate with owners of the historic Silver Spring B&O Train Station, who do not want bicyclists able to travel along the master planned route, which includes an area the group currently rents as event space." Follow the above link to send them a message.
- CaBi station at Prince & Union St. in Alexandria.
- The Washington Examiner, among other things, thinks that increasing transportation spending over 1 year by 130% should reduce your commute time by 130%. Which would mean you would arrive, before you leave*. In addition to being bad at math and science, they say that
- "In 2009, the highway trust fund spent $52.7 billion, but only 62 percent of that went to general purpose roads and safety programs. The rest was diverted into pet liberal causes like trolleys, bicycles, buses, scenic byways, historic covered bridges and "community preservation." Yes. Pet projects that help move 15% of commuters in the DC area. Also, even Reason puts that number at 75% of money goes to highways.
- "And those are the dollars that are supposed to be going to highways." The bipartison transportation bill differs with you - as it has for a very long time.
- "Not only would Romney and Ryan stop wasting your transportation dollars on bike paths and high-speed trains to nowhere..." Yes wasting. You do know what the "Blank" to nowhere refers to, right? (Hint: not bike or train infrastructure).
- "The Frederick Board of Aldermen unanimously approved a Maryland Department of Transportation grant Aug. 16 that provides $12,000 to study the feasibility of a bike-sharing program in the city. The city will provide a $3,000 match in the form of in-kind services, according to Tim Davis, a transportation and airport planner for the city."
- Bike the Vote.
- I've mentioned this before, but still a good story. "[Muhammad] Ali took up boxing at age 12, when his bike was stolen and he wanted to find and whip the culprit." Relatedly, Lance Armstrong took up cycling when he got beat up by a kid and then stole his bike as retribution.
*OK. They don't really say that your commute time would be reduced by 130%, rather that your commute would be 130% faster. So if you average 30mph on the way to work, you'll now average 69mph. Which is still ridiculous, but not as funny.