Happy Birthday to CaBi
- Yesterday DDOT painted the bike lanes on Eye Street SW green. Ironically these are the same ones that would be removed in the cycletracks on M street alternative.
- A pilot program that makes CaBi bikes available to the homeless, has been going well. "he ten riders have embraced their memberships and have been using the bikes avidly. Taylor said he uses the bikes every day and has tallied 97.53 miles. Dave Withers, 53 , is the program’s top rider with 136.55 miles and owns the distinction of renting a bike 246 times in one month....“People are super excited to use the Bikeshare so we do have plans to expand to an additional ten member in our program,” said Gates. Members use the bikes to reach a variety of destinations such as stores, 12-step recovery meetings, potential job interviews, appointments and school classes. "
- BicycleSpace received an award from Bicycle Retailer & Industry News as one of the Top 100 bike shops in USA.
- The theft of a bicycle in Bethesda leads to a lot of thoughts about the police, security, crime and - oddly - speed cameras. I know what this guy wants, but I'm not sure how he expects to get there. The only way I know how to live in a neighborhood in the DC area where you can leave your bike on the front porch and not have it stolen is to be stationed at Ft. Myer.
- Young people are buying fewer cars than their parents did. "30% of Baby Boomers considered themselves "car enthusiasts," said Bluhm, buying showcase vehicles like the Camaro, Corvette or Jeep. Less than 15% of Gen-Yers say the same, and they're flocking to more practical models."