- One letter writer to Dr. Gridlock asks that drivers not stop at the W&OD trail/road intersections, pointing out that the cyclist has a stop sign and the driver does not. I do agree that this is probably the safest way to deal with intersections as currently set up, but the confusion probably comes from the design. People can't even agree on the legality of the trail stop signs. Do stop signs apply to pedestrians? Some better design (a traffic light controlled intersection?) is probably needed.
- Construction at the King Street Metro will add more bike parking starting in the spring.
- A Canadian study uses bicycling fatality reports of helmet use and cause of death to determine that those wearing helmets are three times less likely to die of head injuries. Of the 129 fatalities in Ontario between 2006-2010, about 10% of them could be avoided if helmet use were universal. That sounds about right to me. I suspect you'd see similar numbers for pedestrian helmets. Some letter writers in NYC make their case for why cyclists should wear helmets.
- Injured veterans finished their cross-country bike ride in DC on Sunday.
- An American Olympic BMX biker died in a car accident when he lost control of his truck at high speed and crashed. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
- "The Harbor Ring in New York City would connect existing bike and pedestrian routes along the New York and New Jersey waterfronts in a sweeping 50-mile loop. The "missing link," say proponents, is the Verrazano, which celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2014."*
- Nice rack.
- LA's CicLAvia had about 100,000 participants.
- "The Tour de France will have no official winner for the seven races from 1999 to 2005 if Lance Armstrong is stripped of his victories by the International Cycling Union."
*My friend blames the Verrazano for killing his grandmother. She lived in a house that had to be destroyed for construction. They moved her and all her stuff out on a day that was really cold. She got the flu a few days later and died. I tried to tell him that you don't get the flu from being cold, but he insists that the bridge is a murderer.