Just found out that a friend of mine was hit by a bus while riding her bike here in DC. She's OK, but shaken up. Scary stuff.
- It's the blog's 7 year anniversary (or it was yesterday). Back then there was talk of some sort of computerized bicycle rental program.
- On the repairs to Memorial Bridge. "The temporary pedestrian and bicycle bridges on both sides of the bridge are in place to allow pedestrian and bicycle use while repairs are underway.”
- Must-read article out of the Tidewater region. Covers the topics of cyclist-driver relations, the expanding effort to make roads safer and consider cyclists and, of course, who is most often to blame in crashes. In about 1/3 of crashes a ticket is issued "About 58 percent of those tickets went to drivers, according to the data. Cyclists received the rest." Of course, in a hit and run, no ticket is issued.
- Baltimore adds bike parking near the stadiums.
- "Yes, there are studies that show that if you fall off a bicycle at a certain speed and hit your head, a helmet can reduce your risk of serious head injury. But such falls off bikes are rare — exceedingly so in mature urban cycling systems. On the other hand, many researchers say, if you force or pressure people to wear helmets, you discourage them from riding bicycles. That means more obesity, heart disease and diabetes. And — Catch-22 — a result is fewer ordinary cyclists on the road, which makes it harder to develop a safe bicycling network."