- "The District’s long-planned expansion of Capital Bikeshare this fall has hit a snag because the city has been unable to get all of the needed equipment from its supplier, officials said Monday" 54 stations were supposed to be installed this fall, but most of them won't be. The problem is with Bixi. They've been receiving numerous large orders and simultaneously dealing with financial woes. "It’s unclear wether the demand from cities such as New York and Chicago could slow down expansion of Capital Bikeshare."
- Or "Sunnyside Avenue in PG County to get Bike Lanes." Another advantage of the new higher bridge is that it would make it easier to extend the Indian Creek Trail past Sunnyside Avenue. I suppose it could eventually go as far north as Ammendale Road. But still, it is hard to understand the reason for the shoulders.
- There's a meeting on the Eastover/Forest Heights/Glassmanor Sector Plan next week. This is right along the DC/Maryland boundary in SE, where people using the Wilson Bridge pass through. If you're one of those people, this is a good meeting to attend. And there is also a community workshop on the Landover Metro Area and MD 202 sector plan. The transportation element of that does recognize a lack of bicycle facilities and the need for more.
- If you're an Arlington resident (or even if you aren't), you can apply to be on the Multimodal Transportation and Student Safety Special Committee.
- Fairfax County is wrapping up its Countywide Bike Plan
- And Arlington has finished its Bikeshare Transit Development Plan (the drafts of which have been discussed in detail on this site.
- Armstrong likely to lose his bronze medal too. Expect to see a tweeted photo of it soon.