Capital Bikeshare is opening on Columbia Pike next Thursday (the first of 30+ new stations coming to Arlington this spring). There will be a ribbon cutting at 9:00am at the Walter Reed Community Center.
- "The police department sent 76 special assignments to enforce pedestrian and driver compliance last year, according to Innocenti. During those operations, 1,100 pedestrians were issued citations for various offenses, such as not crossing in a crosswalk or starting to cross after the solid red hand has begun blinking, and those citations often come with fines. There were 38 vehicle citations during as well, Innocenti said." So there are 28 pedestrian violations for every driver violation? That sounds off to me.
- The east gate to the Navy Yard Promenade will be closed until the end of April for 11th Street Bridge construction.
- WABA walks readers through the basics of Bike to Work Day. No word yet as to whether the lettuce bikini girls will show up again.
- Sure, you could watch college basketball all night, OR you could go to the Public Meeting regarding the Maryland Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan Update for some real madness.
- "In Mississippi's healthiest county, many residents have easy access to bicycle paths and walking trails. In the least healthy county, there are few places to exercise"...."if someone wants to walk or ride their bike and they can't do it safely near their homes, "I haven't done my job," Mayor Chip Johnson said.
- Rep. Blumenauer "not interested" in being Secretary of Transportation. That's too bad.
- Bike battles (between cities competing to be the best, not between cyclists and drivers) is named one of the top trends of 2013 by Planetizen.