- Jonathan Maus visits the US DOT HQ in SE. I don't find M Street or New Jersey Ave to be so difficult to bike, but I'll agree they could be better. "there's a strong core of bike commuters at USDOT" and "I asked Lesh if the FTA would ever accept bikeshare as an officially recognized public transit option. He said it's too early for that; but it could happen in a few years"
- VDOT is holding public hearings on changes to I-66. FABB is asking cyclists to go to the hearings and ask that the Custis Trail be extended in Fairfax County in keeping with the County Trails Plan.
- The Newtown riders arrived in DC today. "Before riding into D.C. to meet at the Capitol, the group will meet up with members of the Virginia Tech cycling team. Frank says Virginia Tech alum and rider Omar Samaha told him that his team would follow the Sandy Hook riders, but Frank insisted the two teams would ride side by side."
- Arlington County will host a series of community events this week as part of the next round of public workshops for Realize Rosslyn, the effort to update the Rosslyn Sector Plan.
- Read the transcript from the Kojo show yesterday. Veronica Davis of Black Women Bike showed up in place of Carolyn Szczepanski.
- WABA's Winter Open House is tomorrow (and getting in just under the wire)
- Pittsburgh next to get bike sharing.
- Instead of a mandatory tax on bike purchases, what about an optional tax at car registration for bike facilities.