- Don't ride a bike without a seat, or you could get ticketed.
- Newtown 26 arrive at Capitol Hill.
- WeMoveDC meetings - you should go.
- $32,000 bicycle looks like this.
- Summary of this LTTE: Some cyclists behave badly, so all should be registered.
- Charles Hurt - the Washington Times writer/sexist who called Capital Bikeshare "broken-down socialism" is now going after Pittsburgh's bike share program.
"here’s another clue for something to cut. Turns out, you are paying $1.6 million to subsidize freeloaders in Pittsburgh who are too cheap to buy their own bikes. Under the “bike-share” program announced this week, freeloaders and freeloading tourists get 500 fat, ugly, red bikes to ride around on — bikes that you paid for....Why not just “repurpose” all those fat, ugly, red bikes away from the freeloaders in Pittsburgh and give them to the freeloaders here and make them pedal their sorry butts into work every day? It would fix but a tiny fraction of the damage they have cause but it sure would be funny to watch them sweat a little for a change."
$1.6 million is coming from Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality money. I'm not sure if he thinks that bikeshare will not improve those things, or if he thinks congestion mitigation and air quality improvements are not noble goals, or if he thinks that that they are not the job of the federal government or if he thinks. Hurt's share of that $1.6 million (and on average, every taxpayer's) is about 7/100 of a penny. So if he's really bothered about it, I'll reimburse him for his share (and then some). He can stop by my house anytime and pick up a penny.
Also, just because DC's bikes are red, does not mean Pittsburgh's will be, but red = communist.