Weirdest headline of the day "Aaron Hernandez arrested in murder probe; cut by New England Patriots"
- Turn out at the Montgomery County bikeshare meetings has been low "Although only about a dozen residents attended a meeting in Silver Spring Tuesday evening, a few asked county officials to consider moving a few of the nine stations to alternative locations." A final list of station locations could be out by late July
- Once the locations are chosen, Montgomery County officials will work on infrastructure improvements to get ready for Bikeshare. It will include studies to determine where "sharrows," also known as the road markings that show when motorists need to share the path with bicyclists, could be placed. Councilmember Roger Berliner, who chairs the Transportation and Energy Committee, has championed the sharrows as an option.
- "We don't have a lot of stripped dedicated bike lanes, but we are going to implement more. We are looking at roads where Paul DeMaio feels most of the cyclists will use to get between stations, and we'll determine whether the locations are better for sharrows or whether we can re-engineer the road to get a dedicated lane," he said.
- Cindy Sheehan is riding her bike from her son's gravesite in California to Washington, DC as part of the Tour de Peace. "Sheehan said her Brookeville visit was one of the final stops, after leaving California on April 4. The Tour de Peace cross-country bicycle ride concludes in Washington, D.C., with a ride from Arlington National Cemetery to the White House on July 3."
- The new signs in McLean are just the start. "McLean is the first place in Fairfax County to receive the signs. Foust said he expects they will be installed in Tysons Corner as it redevelops, as well as other areas." Next on the agenda for McLean - bike racks.
- A list of some of the more unique and fantastic pieces of bicycle infrastructure in the world.
- And they didn't stop a single stoplight the whole time. [we could try this on the Anacostia, but it would take you months to get to work] I hope they wore helmets.