I did the Arlington Loop for the first time in a long time. I love the new bike signage along the Custis Trail and all the bike-specific lights. It really is harder to run one of those than a regular light. But the first ramp on the MVT at the airport (going south) is looking pretty bad in the south direction. Also, one of the crosswalks on the Bluemont trail isn't marked on the road, but probably should be.
- On being a WABA Trail Ranger.
- "Now a primary offense, the fine for texting while driving is $125 for first-time violators. The penalty increases to $250 with each subsequent offense."
- New commuter lot in Gainsville includes bike racks. I wonder how easy it is to bike to.
- Washington Times is in favor of Congress intervening to end DC's use of speed cameras, although they don't really give a reason to oppose them other than that the tickets go to the owner of the car instead of the drive and some sense of 'greed'. "An apoplectic Eleanor Holmes Norton, D.C.’s delegate in Congress, rallied the usual crowd of the green bicycle-riding elites, who hate every car but their own, with an unusual personal attack on her colleague, which hardly befits a congresswoman with neither a vote nor a sense of congressional collegiality. “If either Representative Bentivolio or his staff has received such a ticket, then they should pay it, unless he thinks that members of Congress who by law are already exempt from most ticket violations here should be excused,” she says."
- Gov. Bob McDonnell announced funding of $50,000 to serve as seed money in developing an International Mountain Biking Association ride center at newly christened Powhatan State Park in Powhatan, VA. The park was originally part of the Beaumont Correctional Center.
- New pedicab rules take effect next week in NYC. In a sense this is a sign of success. Pedicabs have been prevalent enough and in operation long enough to catch the eye of the government. And there are probably some good, common-sense regulations that can help make the business stronger in the long run.
- Local man trains for the NYC-to-DC climate ride