Arlington reports that:
- · Our traffic analysis showed that the intersections of South Glebe Road at 9th St. S. and S. Walter Reed Drive at 12th St. S. did not warrant the installation of HAWK Beacons. The S. Glebe Rd. at 9th St. S. intersection will have a rectangular rapid flashing beacon and crosswalk installed with no turn restrictions. The S. Walter Reed Dr. at 12th St. S. intersection will only have curb and crosswalk improvements with no turn restrictions.
- · The intersections of S. Walter Reed Dr. at 9th St. S. and S. George Mason Dr. at 13th St. S. warrant HAWK Beacons. The design for these two beacons will begin in April 2014. There are no turn restrictions associated with these two intersections.
9th St. S. Bike Boulevard
- · The section of 9th St. S. from S. Ivy St. to S. Irving St. will not be included in improvements at this time. Staff will revisit this section with the community after the implementation of the rest of the Bike Boulevards.
12th St. S. Bike Boulevard
- · From S. Highland St. to S. Cleveland St., the Bike Boulevards will move from 12th St. S. to 11th St. S. This will allow for the use of the 11th St. S. and S. Walter Reed Dr. intersection, which is signalized. The 12th St. S. at S. Walter Reed Dr. intersection will not have a HAWK Beacon or turn restrictions but will still be improved for safer crossings.
- The intersections of S. George Mason Dr. at 13th St. S. and S. Quincy St. at 12th St. S. are expected to go to construction in summer 2014 when schools are out.
For more information and to view the updated plans for intersection improvements, please visit: http://www.columbiapikeva.us/multimodal-street-improvements/bike-boulevards/