Pedestrian and Bicyclist Safety Enforcement Seminar
Thursday, August 28th, 2014
Date: Thursday, August 28th, 2014
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Place: COG Board Room, Third Floor, 777 North Capitol Street NE, Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20002
Goals: Learn how effective pedestrian safety enforcement can improve compliance with traffic laws and reduce deaths and serious injuries. Representatives from the District Department of Transportation and the Montgomery County Department of Transportation, with their partners in law enforcement, will discuss the results and lessons learned from their programs.
Who Should Attend? Law enforcement officers are encouraged to attend, and they will be given priority if space is limited. The training is free and open to the public, but registration is required.
Lunch will be available at noon.
1. 9:30 a.m. Welcome, Introductions, and Opening Remarks
2. 9:35 a.m. Pedestrian Safety in the Washington Region and the Street Smart Program
3. 9:50 a.m. DDOT/DCMPD Pedestrian-Bicycle Safety Program
o Pedestrian and Bicycle Crash Types
o Applicable Laws
o Effective Enforcement Techniques
o DC’s Pedestrian and Bicycle Enforcement Program
4. 10:50 a.m. BREAK
5. 11:00 a.m. Montgomery County Pedestrian Safety
o Results of the Montgomery County Pedestrian Safety Initiative
o Pedestrian Enforcement Program
5. 11:50 a.m. Discussion/Adjourn for Lunch