Comments were due last week, so that has come and gone, but WABA, the East Coast Greenway and Rails to Trails are all working to get a greenway trail built along any D.C. to Richmond Southeast High Speed Rail corridor.
A greenway was included in the Richmond to Raleigh EIS and a northern extension is a logical addition to that facility.A greenway in the corridor offers many benefits including:
- Attracts tourism and jobs;
- Reduces CO2 & NOx emissions and other air pollutants;
- Promotes multi-modal connections to the train stations;
- Reduces parking needs at the train stations;
- Reduces traffic congestion in the impacted communities.
- A greenway in this corridor would be a key link in the East Coast Greenway which will connect Florida to Maine.This is a once in a century upgrade. Let's make sure we do it right.