From a WABA release:
On Tuesday, December 8th, the DC Council’s Committee on Transportation and the Environment will consider three pieces of bike legislation. Together, these bills include a host of safety improvements and policies that will make DC streets safer and friendlier for pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers alike.
What does that mean specifically? Here’s a taste:
- Harsher penalties for distracted and drunk driving;
- Prioritization of heavy use bicycle / pedestrian areas to expedite safety upgrades where they are needed most urgently;
- Improved crash reporting and accessibility to data to inform safety improvements.
To learn more about the bills, read our detailed analysis here.
Over the past year, we’ve worked hard to bring these bills to the table. Now we need you to show your Councilmembers on the transportation committee that you support these bills and the bold vision they represent. Here are two ways you can help:
1. Testify in person at the Public Hearing next Tuesday, Dec 8th, 11:00 am
If you believe in Vision Zero and share our excitement for a more bike friendly city, join us at the hearing to tell your story. Public hearings are the best time to show our lawmakers the impact that bike friendly laws can have on our lives.
Want to testify? We’re here to help. First, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 724-8062 to get a place on the speaker’s list. Then, tell us you are coming with an email email@example.com. We’ll have talking points, resources, and staff available to help you write and deliver your testimony. Stop by the WABA office on Monday, Dec 7, between 4 pm and 7 pm for help with testimony or call 202-518-0524 x 212.
2. If you cannot testify, submit written comments in support of the bills
We’ve prepared a template, but feel free to personalize it. Personal stories are great, and resolute support is helpful too! Please take a few minutes to submit comments here.