This bill does several things geared towards making DC's roads safer.
- Like Cheh's bill, it would codify a Complete Streets policy as law
- It would ban the use of dirt bikes and ATVs on DC streets (I thought this was already the law)
- It establishes an Ignition Interlock Device Program that repeat offenders or 1-time offenders with particularly high BAC will be required to install.
- It changes the fines and jail sentences of drunk drivers
- It Increases the fine for distracted driving from $100 to $500 and adds 2 points
So, not as sweeping as Cheh's bill and the distracted driving part isn't as good as the Mendelsohn's Enhanced Penalties for Distracted Driving Act of 2015, but it represents a growing consensus that safety legislation is needed - specifically with respect to Complete Streets and distracted driving.