Somehow I missed this map/proposal from the 1990 NPS Paved Trails Plan that I should have included earlier today. There are quite a few differences between today's reality.
- A trail along the Boundary Channel from the LBJ Memorial to Washington Boulevard with an at-grade crossing of the GW Parkway southbound
- The GW Parkway Crossing is farther south than it is now
- There's a trail overpass over the GW Parkway to Washington Blvd ramp.
- The Washington Blvd route under Memorial Bridge was to be removed and rerouted more on line with Washington Blvd on the south and to connect to Arlington Blvd in a different place on the north
- The trail would go below the new Washington Blvd route through an underpass
- Where Washington Boulevard meets Arlington Memorial Circle, the trail would go underneath through trail underpasses.
- A trail would go from the north side of Memorial Bridge to the MVT via a new at grade crossing of the GW Parkway near the north side of the island
- Yet another at-grade crossing of the GW Parkway would be used to connect the trail to the Roosevelt Bridge's southside.
It would;ve been nice.
And the actual trail layout